Odemari S. Mbuya
Dr. Odemari Stephen Mbuya is a professor of Agricultural Sciences, Director of the
Center for Water Resources at Florida Agricultural and Mechanical University (FAMU),
and a Courtesy Professor of Agronomy at the University of Florida/IFAS, where he teaches
Statistical Research Methods, Plant and Soil Sciences. With broad and extensive knowledge
in agriculture, life sciences and sustainable ecosystems for the past thirty years,
Dr. Mbuya leads the faculty effort in integrating all concepts of sustainability in
innovative research and teaching at FAMU. With his extensive education and research
career he has trained undergraduate and graduate students as well as postdoctoral
researchers. He has worked as a research scientist in Tanzania, a visiting researcher
at the Centro Internacional de Agricultura Tropical (CIAT) in Colombia, a consultant
and volunteer representing the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) and
FAMU in South Africa and India, and a delegate of Institutions of Higher Learning
from United States to the Netherlands. Dr. Mbuya holds a M.Sc. and Ph.D. from the
University of Florida (USA), and a Bachelor of Science in Crop Science from Sokoine
University of Agriculture (Tanzania).
Dr. Mbuya joined FAMU in 1996 as a Research Associate and as an Assistant Professor
in 1998 where he has served in academia for over 22 years, of which he has continued
to receive research funding, totaling over $5.2 million. He has received funding form
the following agencies to mention a few: US Department of Agriculture (USDA), US Forest
Service, US Environmental Protection Agency, USDA-CSREES, USDA-NIFA, USDA-SARE, Florida
Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services and US Department of Energy. He has
served in numerous national and international committees representing water, climate
change, agricultural production, ClimateSmart Agriculture and biofuels. His employment
and professional experience includes; i) Faculty Director, FAMU Sustainability Institute,
ii) Director, Center for Water Resources-FAMU, iii) Director, Florida Climate Institute-FAMU,
iv) Director, Center for Water and Air Quality-FAMU, v) Program Leader, Agronomy,
Soil and Water Sciences-FAMU, vi) Chair, ASA-CSSA-SSSA Minority Committee - USA, vii)
Faculty Senator, FAMU Faculty Senate, viii) President, Southeastern Region Soil Physics
Group - USA, ix) Academic Director, School of International Training – Brattleboro,
Vermont-USA, and x) Head Bean Research Agronomist, Tanzania Agricultural Research
Organization. Dr. Mbuya is the recipient of the following awards; i) Distinguished
Scholar Award by the European Journal of Scientific Research, ii) Teaching Excellence
Award at FAMU, iii) Research Excellence Award at FAMU, iv) Research Mentor’s Award
at FAMU and v) Paul Robin Harris at the University of Florida in recognition of outstanding
quality in agronomic research reflecting concerns for the environment.
Ph.D. Agronomy/Soils, University of Florida,1996
M.S. Agronomy, University of Florida, 1990
B.Sc. Agriculture - Crop Science, Sokoine University of Agriculture (Tanzania),1984
Diploma in Crop Production, Ukiriguru, Mwanza (Tanzania), 1980
Certificate in Basic Radiation Safety, University of Florida, 1992
Fields of Specialization:
Nutrient and Water Management, Water Quality, Watershed Processes, Irrigation, Phytoremediation,
and Computer Simulation Modeling.
- Guest of Honor: 52th Annual Convention of Indian Society of Agricultural Engineers(ISAE)
and National Symposium on "Doubling Farmer' Income through Technological Interventions".
Anand Agricultural University, Anand, Gujarat, India. January 8-10, 2018.
- Guest of Honor: International Conference on Food, Water Energy Nexus in Arena of Climate
Change at Anand Agricultural University, Gujarat, India. October, 2016.
- Certificate of Appreciation: SerPIE One Health Conference on Pharmaceuticals and Personal
Care Products. Alabama A&M University, 2016.
- Distinguished Scholar Award by the European Journal of Scientific Research, 2005.
- Rising Star Award, in recognition to research, teaching and service. School of Graduate
Studies and Research, Florida A&M University, 2003.
- Teaching Excellence Award. College of Engineering Sciences, Technology andAgriculture,
Florida A&M University. 2003.
- Certificate of Appreciation as a Research Mentor. Science Exploration and Enhancement
Center, Florida A&M University, 2005.
- Certificate of Appreciation by the Center for Equity and Cultural Diversity: FAMU
CESTA – Water Matters: FAMU Reach Out Day 2004.
- Certificate of Recognition as a Faculty Senator, FAMU Faculty Senate, 2004.
- Paul Robin Harris Award, University of Florida, 1996. Recognition of outstanding quality
in agronomic research reflecting concerns for the environment.
- Mentor’s Service Award, Florida A & M University, 1999. In recognition of exemplary
guidance as a mentor to students in research in the College of Engineering Sciences,
Technology and Agriculture (CESTA).
- Certificate of Appreciation Training Undergraduate Research Scholars (honor students)
to prepare for graduate school. Florida A & M University. 2001.
- Certificate of Appreciation for an outstanding presentation in Sustainable Agriculture,
Office of International Programs, Florida A & M University. 2000.