Research conducted with industry partners on industrial hemp (Cannabis sativa) will
lead to the development of a viable and sustainable industry in Florida. Objectives
of the Industrial Hemp Project are:
- Evaluate industrial hemp species to determine their productivity and suitability under
- Evaluate agronomic traits, invasiveness and environmental impact of the hemp species.
- Identify best management practices for commercialization of the hemp species.
Expected results include identifying hemp species that will thrive safely under Florida
condition and identifying good production and management practices for growers. FAMU
is engaged with the following industry partners in this project:
- Green Earth Cannaceuticals (GEC)
- Sunshine Hemp (SH)
- Future Farm Technologies (FFT)
Stephen Leong, Ph.D.
Associate Dean for Research
Telephone: (850) 561-2129
Charles Weatherford, Ph.D.
Vice President for Research
Telephone: (850) 412-5102